Danying has a broad practice in construction and infrastructure (both front-end and back-end), including advising on all aspects of contractual procurement for commercial projects and construction litigation.
Danying understands that litigation can be stressful for all parties involved and aims to achieve the most commercial outcome for her clients.
Danying has represented clients in the Supreme Court of Victoria, County Court of Victoria and Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).
She is fluent in both Mandarin and Cantonese.
• Acted in Victoria’s landmark court case in the area of Security of Payment;
• Acted in an interstate contractual dispute in the construction industry;
• Frequently acts for developers and contractors in relation to construction disputes.
Areas of expertise
Construction and infrastructure (front-end)
• Drafting, reviewing and advising on AS, HIA, MBAV and bespoke contracts for commercial, mixed-use, infrastructure and residential projects;
• Contract management, including issue of, and response to, EOT claims and notices under contract;
• Dispute negotiation and risk allocation.
Construction and infrastructure (back-end)
• Disputes under contract and at law as to performance of, and payment for, works;
• Disputes relating to defects, delays, extensions of time, latent conditions and variations;
• Claims under security of payment legislation.
Articles by Danying Chen
Our Latest Insights
Life after separation is not always predictable. However, as our recent article illustrated, it is important to formalise property settlements to ensure future financial protection. A recent case has illustrated that the alternative can be risky, particularly if your...
The Federal election is days away and the Victorian state election is also approaching. You may have made, or be considering, a financial donation to a political candidate or political party. Political donations are regulated in both the Federal and Victorian...
On 22 February 2022 the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) released a Draft Taxation Ruling TR 2022/D1 (Draft Ruling) and Practical Compliance Guideline PCG 2022/D1 (Compliance Guideline) about the tax treatment of: trust entitlements arising out of reimbursement...