Denise’s practice focuses on corporate and commercial matters including joint venture and shareholder agreements, complex structuring advice, finance and general commercial contracts.
Denise acts for a range of clients, predominantly privately held businesses and high net worth individuals.
Denise brings a highly technical and commercial approach to each matter and as a result has been instrumental in helping clients to establish, grow, protect and sell their businesses.
As a Law Institute of Victoria Accredited Specialist in Commercial Law, she provides clients with enormous value and insight into complex commercial matters.
- Acted for an IT company in respect of its sale of assets worth over $10M including managing the due diligence process, contract preparation and negotiation and eventual settlement
- Acted for a well-known Food Manufacturer in respect of the sale of their entire operation worth over $14M
- Acted for a high net worth individual in respect of an acquisition of an interest in a motor dealership
- Acted for a Mezzanine Financier in respect of a large property development
Areas of expertise
- Unitholder and shareholder agreements
- Joint venture agreements
- Business sales and acquisitions
- Corporate restructures
- Consumer contracts
- Corporate governance
- Structured finance
- Personal Property Securities Act
Denise Wightman and Heather Richardson authored the Australian chapter of the Lexology GTDT and Law Business Research global reference guide to Corporate Governance, contributing to Kalus Kenny Intelex being recognised as leaders in Corporate Governance Law in Australia. This guide considers the latest updates and trends, in addition to vital information around corporate governance rules and practice, rights of shareholders and employees, corporate control, board responsibilities, remuneration, disclosure and transparency.
Denise also contributed the Australian chapter in the International Lawyers Network ‘Establishing a Business Entity International Guide’.
Articles by Denise Wightman
Our Latest Insights
We are often asked by our developer clients about the benefits of interposing a developer entity between a land owning entity and purchasers in a development. There are many benefits of using a developer entity in development projects. Under this commonly used...
Covid lockdowns have impacted all of our lives in ways we could never have imagined, bringing people to question what is important in their lives, what they want for their future, and make some “life is too short” type big decisions. This soul-searching, and having...
'Australasian Lawyer' has released the 2021 Fast Firms list, comprising 15 firms that have reported record growth and kept up the momentum during a trying time for the legal profession. The COVID-19 pandemic was expected to cripple the Australian legal profession the...