Many of Melbourne’s most significant property industry players acknowledge that Henry’s long-term engagement in and observations of the property market bring insights and understanding few others can match.
But Henry is much more than a Property Lawyer. Henry is a trusted advisor to many of Melbourne’s most talented and successful business people, entrepreneurs, developers, lenders and investors.
He has played a meaningful role in some of the city’s most high profile and complex transactions and some of Melbourne’s most ambitious projects.
Working across a range of disciplines and industries Henry is a thought leader, problem solver and go-to person who brings his creativity, intuition, integrity and legal and commercial experience to all manner of entrepreneurial activities. And the more complex the better. Whether in the nature of property, business, investment, or succession Henry is all about understanding his clients, and their appetite for risk, in order to structure their affairs to maximise the upside and minimise the downside.
Henry is fiercely protective of his staff and his clients, and of the values on which the firm has been built. Above all Henry cares deeply about the people in his life, and works tirelessly to achieve the best possible outcomes for them. And he cherishes his relationships.
Most satisfying to Henry is seeing the firm’s growth built on the values and culture which Henry has espoused from the very beginning.
“From day one, we built this firm on strong values, on our own definition of success, which has always been qualitative, rather than quantitative. We are a people first firm. We exist to have a positive impact on people, to help our staff and clients lead the lives they want. Accomplishing that on a broad scale has been our greatest achievement”.
- Redevelopment of the Amcor Paper Mill, Alphington by Glenvill.
- Numerous high density projects in the Forest Hill precinct of South Yarra by Michael L Yates & Co, and Fridcorp Pty Ltd.
- Staged development of medium density residential, commercial and retail at Mason Point, South Morang by Gibroc Corporation Pty Ltd.
- Re-development of the Phillip Morris site, Moorabbin.
Areas of expertise
- Acting in major property transactions and projects, including mixed-use urban redevelopments, high density residential and commercial developments, acquisition and sale of shopping centres, commercial office buildings, industrial, commercial and residential developments
- Off-the-plan projects
- Structured finance
- Joint ventures and syndication
- Stamp duty and GST
- Commercial, industrial and retail leasing
- Land subdivisions
- Business and corporate investment, financing, acquisition and divestment
- Complex business negotiations
- Estate and succession planning
- Transaction risk management
Articles by Henry Kalus
Our Latest Insights
It is probably fair to say that a lot of people who have heard of these two phrases think they are the same thing. However, that is not the case. While both concepts exist under the Australian Consumer Law (ACL), they are distinct and operate independently from each...
There has been plenty of commentary and speculation about casualties of Covid – “The Great Resignation” and then “The Great Separation” - relationship breakdowns triggered by the stresses imposed by Covid, whether it be the lockdowns, financial stress, home schooling...
The Commercial Tenancy Relief Scheme (CTRS) came into effect on 28 July 2021 and was due to expire on 15 January 2022. It offered rental relief to qualifying businesses that had suffered a decline in turnover of at least 30%. In response to the recent spike of...